There are lots of ways to get involved at Queenwood and Bodenham Lake whether sharing your knowledge in the visitor centre, getting your hands dirty with the ranger team or helping to organise fun events.
Visitor Engagement Volunteer
Location: Queenswood Country Park & Arboretum and Bodenham Lake nature reserve
Responsible to: Green Heart of Herefordshire project staff
Hours: Varying hours – volunteers can opt in to days they can make. Project runs from 23rd May to end of July initially but the role will then become ongoing.
Queenswood Country Park and Bodenham Lake are run by a partnership of two organisations: Herefordshire Wildlife Trust and New Leaf Sustainable Development. Our vision is for the sites to be exemplars of conservation, visitor experience & engagement; and the promotion of sustainable development.
The Green Heart of Herefordshire project has been funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and aims to engage a wider range of people in the natural heritage of Queenswood and Bodenham Lake by focusing on audience development and creating Engagement Strategy, Marketing and Content Plans. Professionally supported community consultation will be our first step to increase participation, with a wide range of stakeholders invited to co-create the process and inform our planning and development of the sites.
The role of Visitor Engagement Volunteer in the project will be to assist staff with aspects of community consultation, with training, guidance and support from expert consultants.
Main tasks – to be confirmed but are likely to include:
- With colleagues, manning a consultation stand, encouraging visitors to share their views and recording feedback. Locations to mainly be Queenswood and Bodenham Lake but potentially elsewhere.
- Taking part in focus groups, assisting with note taking and facilitation
- Volunteers can also opt to assist with data collation and analysis.
- Good listener
Training will be given for this role.
Expenses are not available for this role.
Sustainable Future Centre (SFC) Volunteer
- Welcoming visitors to the centre and providing information about the current exhibition / films / workshops being shown.
- Engaging visitors in conversation around the issues being highlighted.
- Signposting visitors to local groups / organisations / projects where appropriate.
- Helping out at open days and special events
- A friendly, welcoming person who likes talking to others.
- An enthusiasm for environmental and social issues and the ability to engage in conversation about these without being judgemental.
- The ability to work as part of a team of volunteers and staff working towards the same aim.
There will be an induction day to get to know the practicalities of the staff, the building, and the site and discuss any training needs.
Training will be given to volunteers around key sustainability issues if needed.
Phone – 01432 530088
Visitor Centre Volunteers
We often have vacancies for volunteers to assist with running our shop and visitor centre at Queenswood: welcoming visitors, providing information, guidance about the Country Park and Bodenham Lake, and serving shop customers.
We are seeking volunteers with confidence in speaking to the general public, a passion for wildlife, and an interest in sustainable living. You will be available to answer visitors’ questions about the sites and help them discover more each time they return. You will be key to educating visitors about the history of Queenswood and Bodenham Lake, including our ongoing habitat management work and visitor development. Training to share this knowledge will be provided.
- A minimum commitment of 3 hours per week is required.
- Previous experience in a similar role would be useful but is not a requirement of the role as full training will be given.
- Multiple roles are available.
Phone – 01432 530088
Visitor Experience Volunteers: Outdoor & Practical Tasks
Multiple roles available at both Queenswood Country Park and Bodenham Lake.
- Sharing your enthusiasm and passion for the site with visitors, creating a welcoming atmosphere and directing visitors around the site.
- Ensuring all gates, signs and fences are in good repair, reporting any damages to the site staff or Estates Manager.
- Ensuring the site and car park is kept free of litter.
- Walking the paths around the site to check their condition and check all route markers and signage are in good repair.
- Ensuring all temporary posters and notices are relevant, neatly displayed and in date.
Additional / Optional Tasks:
- Assisting at events, workshops and walks.
- Assisting the Reserves Officer with any additional tasks.
Phone – 04132 530088
Family & Education Volunteers
A fantastic opportunity for volunteers to help run our programme of activities and events including Activity Club and Get Crafty activities at Queenswood Country Park and Bodenham Lake. Get involved, help connect children to nature and learn about sustainability.
The bulk of commitment will be duing the school holidays, with a particular emphasis on the Easter and summer holiday seasons.
As this role is working with children and young people, all successful applicants will be required to complete a full DBS check. Training for event management and managing groups of children will be provided. All applicants must be 18 years old or above.
If you are able to commit to help with running our events for children, then please do get in touch, preferably by email. Please provide information on any relevant experience you may hold, although applications will be accepted from individuals with no prior direct experience.
Practical Conservation Volunteers
Herefordshire Wildlife Trust’s practical work parties carry out habitat management tasks at Queenswood and Bodenham Lake, as well as at our other nature reserves across Herefordshire. Ideally we need volunteers who can commit regularly on a monthly basis. If you feel you are able to help, then please do get in touch via the details below.
Please provide information on any relevant experience you may hold, although applications will be accepted from individuals with no prior direct experience.